Thursday, October 20, 2011

Homemade "Poptarts"

I’m always looking for some fun and new food to try.  If you’ll remember, I’m a big fan of oatmeal for breakfast, but this morning I was looking for something different to feed Aiden.  I have this really great book for “baby food” and I had remembered seeing a recipe for “Pop Tarts”.  Seeing as how my little alarm clock (Aiden) went off early today I had a little extra time before the feeding frenzy would start so I decided to give these a try.
This book I have, Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron, is amazing.  It says its baby food, but let me tell you it is not limited to food and certainly isn’t limited to baby.  I very highly recommend this book to anyone with a new baby, and well anyone in general.  There are a lot of healthier recipes for convenience products, like the pop tarts, “Shake n Bake” and other things like that, but also “recipes” for cleaning solutions without chemicals.  And, to be honest, there are very few differences between what a healthy baby should eat and what a healthy adult should eat; fruits, vegetables; unprocessed foods.  Seriously, this book is invaluable.

So here is the recipe:
                2 beaten eggs
                ¼ c olive oil
                2 T melted butter
                ¼ c +2T honey
                2 c flour
                2 tsp baking powder

Mix ingredients together and chill for an hour in the freezer.  Cut and roll dough into 12 rectangles.  Place about a tablespoon of filling in the center of half of the rectangles.  Top with another rectangle and crimp edges.  Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.

If you want a frosting mix 2 T powdered sugar, ¼ tsp vanilla and 1 T milk and drizzle over top of baked pastries.

The dough can be a little difficult to work with because it is so delicate with all the liquid in it.  I did half the batch with about a half hour in the freezer, but the other half I left in for more like an hour plus and that worked easier.  I also recommend only working on half of the dough out at a time for that same reason.   Cut and roll out 6 pieces of dough from each half, using one piece for the bottom and one for the top.   The dough is just so delicate that it kept tearing if I tried just folding it over. 

As far as fillings go, you can really do anything.  I used strawberry jam because that’s what I had.  I’m going to experiment more with some other fillings, like maybe homemade apple butter or peanut butter and banana, or Nutella!  The possibilities are endless really!

No comments:

Post a Comment