Friday, September 18, 2009

San Diego Restaurant Week

This is one of my favorite times in San Diego, Restaurant Week! For anyone who has never gone, this is the best time to get out and go to some of the really nice restaurants in San Diego without the huge price tag you would normally pay. Twice a year participating restaurants offer 3 course prix fixe menus for $30 or $40 a person. Some restaurants will offer additional options with a slight upcharge. This year they added more restaurants by offering some $20 menus. In my opinion that didn't make too much sense because it added restaurants you can get meals for $20/person normally. I suppose it's because of the economy and people not wanting to spend as much money, but January's Restaurant Week had record numbers.


This year because of my work schedule, I only got to go out one night (sometimes we have been known to go 3 times). We went to Mr. A's which has a beautiful view of downtown, and if you're lucky enough to go during sunset it’s fabulous! Anyway, I ordered for the first course the Lobster Strudel. This was a mixture of lobster and wild mushrooms wrapped in filo dough served on a reduction of lobster stock. I think this dish was served beautifully, but would have benefited greatly by a nice sprinkle of sea salt and fresh cracked pepper (not worth it for the $5 upcharge). It was a little bland and the lobster was slightly overcooked. The reduction also needed salt and pepper. My second course, a seared sea bass and seafood sausage, was slightly redeeming. The sea bass was well seasoned and the fresh corn it was served over was delicious, even though it had red bell pepper brunoise tossed with it. I hate when people mess up fresh natural flavors with red bell pepper just for the sake of color. The seafood sausage also needed salt and pepper. It was served more as a sausage than a quenelle as I had expected. I also expected it to be more of a mouseline (very light and airy) style forcemeat than a straight forcemeat, not a huge deal. There was also some sort of tasteless sauce and a savory whipped cream (served on a hot plate?!?!). I finished up my meal with a little sundae of caramel ice cream (delicious), with a chocolate sauce (delicious), served in a stale waffle bowl.

All this said, the service was wonderful, as was the wine. I know some restaurants pre-prep their dishes for restaurant week so you don't always get the best quality, but I have only had one other similar experience and that one was so bad I don't even want to think about it. I have been to plenty of restaurants during Restaurant Week that had stellar food and service. Market Bar and Restaurant has consistently been my favorite and we don't wait for Restaurant Week to go there because it's sooooo worth it. In my opinion you should never compromise your quality!

No comments:

Post a Comment